Thursday 7 July 2016

I voted for Brexit, but now I regret the terrifying chaos I have unleashed

Je regrette. I cannot express how horrified I am that Boris Johnson stepped down. He was the standard-bearer of those who wanted not to get out of the single market, but to curtail the move to political union in a federal state run by the likes of Juncker. 

I feel deeply betrayed. I was a cusp voter, voting leave with a heavy heart after much wavering, profoundly in favour on principle if uncomfortably reluctant to rock the boat.

Being a postal voter, I even asked at one stage if my ballot had been sent and if I could change my mind, but it already had.

I still believed in British independence, though. And I believed (with increasing anxiety and disappointment at the lack of leadership), in the vision, fundamental authenticity and courage of those who, like me, seemed to want to remain European but force a rethink of the flawed post-Maastricht federal project in support of which the EU apparatus had been so intransigent.

So many European countries are crying out for fundamental reform, and I believed we could lead a move to necessitate it.
Boris, though flawed, seemed to be someone whose vision, of a single market, a more economically globalised Britain, coupled with a firm No to the project of federal union, I could get behind. I was wrong. He has lost his mojo.

I still cannot bear the Commission. I cannot bear the likes of Jean-Claude Juncker with his snide "what are you still doing here?" and his "we're going to punish you" rhetoric.

He is only one shade better than Nigel Farage, and he has, by virtue of his unelected role, immense power over us.
I still hate the extreme capitalist perspective of the EU in prohibiting state aid to industries so that regions, which allows entire regions to die and forces their communities to relocate where the work is – even when short term support might have saved an industry with fundamental strength and substance.

I hate the extreme centralisation, the sometimes arbitrary over-regulation, the homogenisation, the shutting out of other countries from beyond.
I was also deeply alienated, like many, shall we say, constitutional leavers, by those who asserted that those who wanted out of the EU must be anti-European, xenophobic, stupid, poor, racist, and asked me how I could possibly vote the same way as them. Not recognising those motivations in myself or many others who were pro-Leave, and knowing what my own reasons were, the inference for me was then that those who want in just don't get what my beef with the EU is.  

I think there has been a lack of informed debate on both sides. I was not uninformed. But perhaps, in this instance, I was too informed, and I should have voted with my natural, liberal, European-spirited tribe rather than according to my concerns about the federal project, which now feel to me esoteric and unimportant.

With all this, I sound as if I'm making excuses. But I am only trying to explain, I suppose, why I voted as I did and why, too late, I have changed my mind.
Source:TelegraphUK

No comments:

Post a Comment